Groundbreaking Marks Start of Casino Project
October 16, 2007 -- Community members, Hoosier Park management and Centaur Gaming management conducted a ceremonial groundbreaking today for the new casino at Hoosier Park in Anderson. Area residents celebrated what will be renewed vitality and further economic development in Madison County.
Scheduled for completion next summer, the $100+ million project will feature:
- A single-level, 92,000 square-foot casino with 54,000 square feet dedicated to gaming
- 2,000 state-of-the-art slot machines, including interlinked progressives, multi-player video table games, player’s club and a high-limit area
- Several exciting new bars and restaurants
- Full cocktail service
- 2,500 spaces of customer dedicated surface parking, including two entrances featuring valet parking
- Standardbred racing from April 5 through July 6, 2008
- Thoroughbred/Quarter Horse racing from Aug. 29 through Nov. 23, 2008
The financial implications of the new casino operations have local residents applauding. The casino project is expected to bring 500 additional jobs to Hoosier Park, with estimated annual employee earnings (including racing) of $40 million. The estimated annual revenue collected by state government will be $80 million, plus a $250 million licensing fee. The estimated annual revenue collected by local government will be $8 million, plus $1.6 million in property taxes.
“I’m proud to be with you today to celebrate a new chapter in our history,” said program emcee, Rick Moore, general manager of racing and 13-year veteran of Hoosier Park. “Today, as we sit beside the existing racing facility at Hoosier Park, we can view the site of our future expansion – the new casino.”
Also joining in the groundbreaking ceremony were Kevin Smith, mayor of Anderson; Rod Ratcliff, chairman and CEO, Centaur Gaming; Jeff Smith, managing director of racing, Centaur Gaming; and Jim Brown, general manager of gaming, Hoosier Park.
Construction is already underway for the new slots facility set to open in 2008.
Photo by Jamie Linscott